Stay tuned for updates about TGFS 2019!
Thank Goodness for Staff is a springtime celebration organized by UC Davis Staff Assembly in honor of all UC Davis staff members. The 2019 TGFS picnic is our 39th year celebrating the hard work and contributions of UC Davis staff and we invite you to join in the fun.
In addition to a delicious lunch, staff are treated to prize drawings, freebies and other services at the various on and off-campus booths in our Vendor Showcase. Every year there’s special entertainment and fun to be had by all attendees. Best of all, it’s free! Isn’t it great to be UC Davis staff!
2019 TGFS will be held May 8, 2019 from 11:30am-1:30pm on Russell Field.
April 8, 2019 Update: Addressing frequently asked questions/concerns from 2018
Departments are now able to purchase meal wristbands! For those of you who attended last year, here are a few improvements we made to help make this year's event better than ever:
What is the weather going to be like this year? Will there be lightning and rain, like last year?
- Firstly, we have specially requested sunshine for this year. No one need even utter the 4 letter "r" word regarding this event.
What has the planning team done to improve wait times for the food trucks?
- Instead of having food trucks have two different entree options per truck, they are sticking to one entree each. We are hoping that this annihilates wait times, but we are counting on you to choose a food truck in which you are okay with the standard meal, as to not slow down the flow. Allow the trucks to crank out the meals!
I waited way too long in line for my food truck last year.
- One of the beautiful things about having 15 different food trucks lined up on the field for your choosing is just that, it is YOUR choosing. If you are someone that values speed and hasn't gotten too attached to a certain menu offering, by all means- choose the shorter food truck line. If you can only be satisfied by that one special entree with the longest line, be our guest, but know that many of your coworkers feel the same and that it may take a while. Again, hopefully not as long as last year.
My food truck ran out of food while I was in line!
- One last food truck note, we are staffing our food truck lines with admin volunteers that will be clearly identified through brightly colored t-shirts. We will make sure that the food trucks let the volunteers know when they are running out of food and the idea is to make sure that no one is waiting in line just to get to the front and find out they are out of food.
My coworker got way more food than I did last year. What are you doing to fix that?
- We heard you when you said that the trucks had varied ideas about what constitutes as a "meal". This year, we are doing our best to make sure that these trucks are giving you the same value of food across the field! Your meal should be roughly the same quantity of food as the food your coworker grabbed from a different truck.
I'm a vegetarian/vegan/gluten-free and couldn't find my designated food truck.
- There will be a designated VEG garden area for those with dietary preferences. Vegans, Vegan/Gluten-Free, and Vegetarians rejoice! No frantically searching for your special truck, as your accommodations will be clearly marked. To be clear, this section is for folks with the gold "VEG" wristbands only, so no "REG" meal wristband line jumpers allowed here! Those with gluten-free needs, have no fear. We will still be denoting dietary preferences with colored balloons at the trucks! Blue for gluten-free, green for vegetarian, and gold for vegan. Each truck's dietary restrictions and meal option will also be published on the website ahead of time, so you'll know what you're looking for.
What was up with dessert last year?
- A surprising and frankly, overwhelming, number of staff complained about the free cookie provided as dessert. We changed it- so we hope you like it! You'll be able to find the dessert stations- staffed by a rotating group of your favorite campus admins- smack dab in the center of the field festivities.
What can I do for fun at TGFS?
- We are trying to get back to our picnic roots, so this year we will have a variety of lawn games and contests going throughout the day. Play a pickup game of grass volleyball against your favorite rival department (just kidding- one UC Davis!) or partake in some friendly water balloon-induced competition. Either way, you will have so much free time after getting your complimentary meal that you will be keen on finding something else to do. We hope.
All that being said, we have put a lot of effort, thought, and consideration into planning this year's Thank Goodness For Staff picnic, because the Staff Assembly volunteers are doing their very best to ensure this is an enjoyable event. We hope you will attend with your coworkers this year!
Vendor Showcase Registration is now open! Register to be part of the Vendor Showcase as a UC Davis department or an outside business for an opportunity to gain exposure to over 6700 staff members! Registration can be found here.
TGFS Sports Registration is now open! This year, we are doing a TGFS Golf Tournament, TGFS Volleyball Tournament, and a TGFS Tennis Tournament. Gather your coworkers and compete in some friendly staff competition! Register here.
Interested in a little friendly competition with your fellow staff? Sign-up here for one of the contests taking place on the field the day of TGFS! We will have a Lime and Spoon race (teams of 4) and a Water Balloon Toss (teams of 2). We will also have grass volleyball courts and lawn games set up that will be available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
For more information on purchasing meal wristbands, please visit the official TGFS meal ticket purchasing website here.