2016 Thank Goodness for Staff Celebration
Wednesday, May 18, 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. - Russell Field
Thank Goodness for Staff is a springtime celebration organized by UC Davis Staff Assembly in honor of all UC Davis staff members. The 2016 TGFS picnic is our 36th year celebrating the hard work and contributions of UC Davis staff and we invite you to join in the fun.
This year's festivities will include Guess the Weight, the TGFS 2017 Logo contest, and Spot the Pin. In addition to a delicious lunch, staff will also be treated to prize drawings, freebies and other services at the various on and off-campus booths in our vendor showcase. To add to the festive atmosphere of the event, we will have popcorn machines, roving magicians, caricaturists, quirky photos opportunities in the photo booths, and more.
Best of all, it’s all free. Isn’t it great to be UC Davis staff?
A couple things to note about the TGFS event:
- Tickets are for meals only. Staff are welcome to attend the event without a meal ticket.
- TGFS is for staff only and not intended for the families and friends of staff.
- Animals are not allowed at TGFS, except in the case of service animals.
What to bring to TGFS:
- A great attitude
- Your meal ticket
- Sunblock – because we always request great weather
- A folding chair, blankets, or something comfortable to relax on
- Beach umbrella to share shade (ensure you have the equipment to properly stake/anchor your shade)
- Reusable mug for refreshments
- Reusable bag for vendor giveaways
Meal Ticket Ordering & Pick Up
Staff meal tickets cost $3 and student staff meal tickets cost $13. Each department, division, or dean’s office should assign one person to purchase tickets for their staff. The Chancellor pays a large portion of each individual ticket with an additional $3 per ticket paid for by the department. Staff do not pay out-of-pocket for the event.
A designated person in your department or unit will ask you for your lunch option and purchase the tickets for your group. Once you receive your ticket, please keep it safe as it is required to receive your meal at the picnic and cannot be replaced. Tickets are for meals only.
Staff are welcome to attend the event without a meal ticket and bring their own lunch.
For details and to order meal tickets go to the Meal Ticket page.
Volunteer sign ups!
Staff Volunteers - Staff are encouraged to come out and relax, and enjoy the activities available. However, we greatly appreciate the support of all the staff who sign up to help volunteer at the event. All volunteers will be invited to a thank-you party, which will take place after the dust has settled from TGFS. Interested? Please sign up here.
Administrator Volunteers - In keeping with tradition, administrators will be serving food and drinks at TGFS. It is a small but meaningful way for administrators to thank the hardworking staff for all their contributions. Interested? Please sign up here.
Photo by Bill Payne
- Guess the Weight Contest – Each year a different campus location and prop is selected for the Guess the Weight Contest. Staff are invited to guess the weight of everything in the photo for the chance to win a southern CA vacation with hotel stay. The photo will be available to view at the picnic along with a ballot box for your guess.
- This years winner Adi Maldonado was one of over 400 staff who entered a guess to win the Southern California vacation from our partner Get Away Today. Her guess was 7650 pounds. and the actual weight was 7645! Adi works at UC Davis Extension, Center for Online Education. She is mother to Landon, pictured with her, and has a Disneyland vacation planned in September for his 3rd birthday. Now, she will add some San Diego sun to that getaway!
- 2017 TGFS Logo Contest – Staff were invited to submit their logo entry to be used for the website, t-shirts, buttons and other promotional items for TGFS 2017.
- Thank you to everyone who submitted a logo to the contest. You can view the logo poster board here. We are pleased to announce that Lina Layiktez’s logo won first place with 53 votes.
- Spot the Pin – It was great to see the Staff Pin spirit. The TGFS Spot the Pin committee gave out hundreds of tickets and the drawing results are in! Prizes were donated by vendors that attended TGFS 2016.
1st - Kevin Phelps - Wine accessories box from Golden 1 Home Loans
2nd - Erin Peltzman - ifidelity swerve Bluetooth speaker from Liberty Mutual
3rd - Michael Rogai - Roadside emergency kit from Travis Credit Union.
- Don’t have a pin but want one? Do not dismay! Staff pins are available for $10.00 at the UC Davis Bookstore. More information about the benefits of ownership can be found at http://staff.ucdavis.edu/pin_program_and_discounts/index.html
The Repro Graphic's 2016 TGFS t-shirt order link is ready for you to order by credit card. T-shirts will be delivered to your on-campus address or you can pick up at 176 Hoagland Hall. To receive yours before TGFS, please order by May 15. Shirts are $12 (S M L XL) and $14 (XXL XXXL)
We ordered 250 TGFS buttons and will be making them available at no cost at the Guess the Weight and Logo Contest tent in the TGFS vendor showcase. If you've been collecting TGFS buttons your entire career at UC Davis, you won't want to miss out. First come, first serve.
Sponsors and Vendors
Applications to participate in the May 18, 2016 TGFS vendor showcase can be found here. All campus departments and staff with businesses are invited to submit an application to table at TGFS and share their programs, resources, services, and successes with attendees.
Staff Assembly thanks every business and department that supports TGFS by signing up as a sponsor or vendor. Your generous contributions make the event more festive and help fund the staff and staff dependent scholarships awarded by Staff Assembly each spring.
The growing list of sponsors and vendors participating in this year's TGFS go to the 'Events Sponsors and Vendor' link found on the left.
Women's Doubles: Kitty Schlosser and Robin Schlosser
Men's Doubles: Ted Tauzer and Todd Tauzer
Mixed Doubles: Tracy Lade and Chris Derr
Golf – Contratulations to this years winners!
First place team, 'Three men and Bob,'; Abel Martinez, Fausto Portillo, Kenneth Tyson, and Robert Kornelly.
Tie for second place teams,'The Sultans of Swing'; Steve Ball, Mark Martin, Bob Wachter,Dan Orovich, and 'HVAC Attack'; Ben Griffin, Gary Harmon, Kevin Fullerton, Greg Bayne.
Third place team, 'Four-for-FORE!'; Stanley Lim, Edward Andrade, Michael Carson, John Zertuche.
Volleyball - Congratulations to the finalists, Killa'Watts and Net Loss, who will compete for the championship The Championship match (and consolation match for 3rd and 4th place) will be next Tuesday, May 31st from 12-1 at the Pavilion - Upper Level West.
Transportation and Parking Infomation
For full transportation information including shuttle routes and free on-campus parking locations, please visit our transportation & parking page.
Raptor Center - We are excited to announce that the California Raptor Center will be presenting a couple short educational presentations at this year'sTGFS! Check aggiefeed for presentation times.
The California Raptor Center is dedicated to the study of raptors, their care, their health, and the preservation of their various species and the ecosystems they depend on. With the UC Davis Vet Med School, CRC has an impressive raptor rehabilitation record. CRC also has an active Education Program, both on-site and off, for service to schools, nature groups, and other community outlets. The classes and presentations begin with a basic introduction, and proceed, as requested by more experience audiences, to the identity of local raptors, aspects of their lives, details of their biology. The role these predators play in our ecology is always part of CRC's message.
Danzantes del Alma - The TGFS planning committee are estatic to have the Danzantes perform at this year's event.
Danzantes del Alma, the student folklorico dance troupe of UC Davis established in 1977, has made it possible to celebrate traditional and contemporary Mexican, Chicano and Latino cultures through learning and performing traditional dances of Mexico and contemporary dances of the Chicano/Latino experience. Danzantes del Alma fosters and nurtures student leadership, intellectual curiosity and artistic expression through this art of folklorico. Danzantes becomes a home away from home for its members and allows them to celebrate history and culture. The group also focuses on providing resources and spaces for the academic retention of its members.
2016 Planning Committee
We'd like to thank these UC Davis staff members for their significant contributions toward making this an enjoyable event for you. The planning committee welcomes your questions and comments by email at email@example.com.
Photo by Bill Payne
Check out the 2016 TGFS photo album featuring shots by the event photographer and TAPS staffer, Bill Payne. We hope you enjoy the photos as much as you enjoyed the day! The TGFS Committee appreciated your replies/feedback on the 2016 event and will certainly pass them on to next years planning committee!